16 December 2008

"Top Dog": Pure Camp, Pure Bliss


Sally Struthers with her chow, Chester

Some people who know me are surprised by how lowbrow my tastes can run. Yes, I really did stay up until 3 A.M. watching a Rock of Love marathon, and, yes, the Real Housewives series - all of them - is must-see TV (much to my fiance's horror). I fully embrace my love of Camp - there's only so much Proust one can read before one needs a dollop of Peyton Place. As Susan Sontag says, "it's good for the digestion."

So when I saw the book Top Dog by Liz Walker, John Haynsworth, and Bonnie Skinner Levy, a 1980's time capsule complete with B-list celebrities clad in leather and sequins hamming it up with their favorite canines, there was no question that it was coming home with me.


Dallas Hairdressers Danny Kapavik and Richard Florio, "the leading purveyors of Big Hair in a city known for all-out 'dos" with Yorkshire Terrier, Baby Jane.



San Francisco socialite Mrs. Francis A. Martin Jr. with Labrador, Nicol
Now this is a room I would love to see more of - love its ambiance of patina and old guard elegance.



Barbara Lazaroff, 2nd wife of Wolfgang Puck, with Jaguar, Melon, and Zandra

5 comments:

Style Court said...

Emily! I had no idea!

This is why you bring such an entertaining spin to your more scholarly work. I had forgotten how really, really bad 80s hair was :)

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

Courtney,
So bad, it's good, right?!
EEE

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for posting such a refreshing blog. While I love stylish fineries as much as the rest, it's nice to see someone with such wonderful taste able to have a good sense of humour. Thank you again-

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

Thank you, Abby - I have to admit I was a bit nervous about outting my love of camp to the world - I'm glad I'm not alone!

Unknown said...

Now you've made me homesick for big Dallas hair!