06 February 2009

Farewell Lux

As my musical inclinations run more to Satie and Sylvester than to punk, I wasn't familiar with the intriguingly-named Lux Interior, seen above with his wife Poison Ivy. Together Lux and Poison founded the psycho-rockabilly band The Cramps and donned skintight rubber while singing such songs as "Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon." More recently, Lux provided the voice for the lead singer of a bird band on Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Lux died Wednesday this week but his legacy of pushing the boundaries of taste and music will continue to influence and inspire many.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me a minute to figure out why you might have posted this, since you are admittedly not a Cramps fan. But I get it now: of course you're interested in the death of Lux Interior!

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

Exactly, Heather! But I also like that he lived with gusto - as Diana Vreeland said, bad taste is better than no taste! EEE

Jennifer Ament said...

And sometimes bad taste is funner too...;) Love the post... THAT, to me, shows that you have superior taste, as you see ALL walks of life interesting....